Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Being a Singaporean

National day is less than a month time, and from this year onwards, the National Day Parade will no longer be held at the National Stadium located at Kallang. To me, if you are proud to be a Singaporean, you need not attend the National Day Parade, or be involved. As a Singaporean, I feel that we should be proud of our culture, food and the fact that we live in this country call Singapore. I cannot say that I am very patriotic or possess great knowledge about our nation’s matters, but I can say that I like the fact that I am a Singaporean.

Find it rather sad that some Singaporeans are always comparing the western countries to Singapore and yearning to migrate because they think that life in other countries are better. There is a Chinese saying which goes: “涨他人之气,灭自己威风”。It simply means to hold others in high regard and belittling oneself. Indeed there are many good things to learn from foreigners, but I feel we should not belittle ourselves at the same time.If it was for family, career or even retiring purposes , I can understand that, but There was one particular gal I came across in the forum who said that she is going to migrate just because Singaporeans are lame. I find this type of people pathetic, is they feel that Singaporeans are lame, then aren't they lame themselves too? Besides, given their attitude to others, they will find other unhappy things to lament about even if they get their desired place of residence.

It is ironic to see that there are many foreigners who are interested in our culture and food, yet some Singaporeans are always thinking that life in other countries is better. Perhaps most of us tend to look at the good things other countries have, forgetting that they might get worse things. Of course it is the choices of people to migrate, and I am saying all these because I have not work in the society yet. I feel that no matter where we go, we should remember ourselves as Singaporeans. I have always felt that being in Singapore is a blessing at least in terms of geographical location.

We are blessed to have avoided the catastrophic Tsunami which brought about huge destruction to our neighbouring countries especially Indonesia. Thinking that we are so close to it yet we escaped it, I feel so lucky. Besides the absence of natural disaster, I am glad to say that we enjoy peace and prosperity all these years. and as students, we get heavily subsidised education. In the past, I failed to realise that, now after having to pay almost 30 thousands just for 3.5 years of education made me aware that how lucky we are.I am not propagating nationalistic ideals here, merely writing about my thoughts, for those who disagreed with them; I am not stopping you from doing that. Alright, I end here now.

No comments: